Nuffnang

Thursday, May 5, 2011

YOU WERE CLOSE THIS ONCE. RECONNECT THIS MOTHER'S DAY

Ok, this is the second time I am doing this entry. This morning, just as I finished signing off my article, suddenly this page has been reset and everything that I wrote with all my might, my heart and a bit of my tears poofed! Just like that. While I try to retrieve it, I was cursing early in the morning wondering how it all happened. Althroughout the day, I was thinking how will I rewrite everything again. But it’s still worth the try.

So anyway, I was saying, when we were young, there’s no other woman in our lives that we know of but our moms. We are so much dependent on her that we don’t want to be separated from our mothers. Back in college days, I remember my professor in Philosophy said that “humans are the only species needed to be born prematurely. Otherwise, it will not survive. The bond that ties us to our mothers (or parents) is one great factor that leads us to life. Humans also have the longest dependency to its parents among any other life form”. True, in its every form.

Seeing their kids growing up scares most moms (and sad most of the times). So I’ve heard and so I’ve seen from a lot of friends (Although they don’t really admit that). I still don’t understand why. But I’ve heard them say;

“Before, my daughter never fails to come with me on weekend grocery. But now, she’d just give me a list of the things she need and do her own thing.” Or something like;

“He prefers weekend sleep-overs at his friend’s house now, rather than catching up on movies with us.” Or;

“He’s got a mind of his own and doesn’t want to be told. He doesn’t even want to be kissed when I drop him off to school. He’s shy to be seen by his friends kissed by his mom. And he’s only ten!”

These are like nightmare statements from moms. And I realized, from being a sucker dependent kid, most of us slowly become distant from our moms as we grow old.

I always hear a friend of mine saying “Enjoy the kids while they are young. If they want to be carried, carry them with all your might. If they want to be embraced, give them the biggest hug they could have. Pamper them with your kisses because, as they reach the age of puberty they will surely have a mind of their own and not much of these will be asked from you. You will miss them being clingy and it will rip your heart out to even have the thought that your child has grown and that they don’t need you anymore.”

Wow.

I wonder what my mom has thought of me when I was growing up. Did she ever say any of those things when I was “having a mind of my own?” I have run my life at the farthest distant from her that I could remember. The farthest moment not wanting to be away from my mom was in grade school when she was supposed to pick me up after class and she was a few hours late. I was crying, thinking that my mother would never be there to bring me home. When she finally came, she’s got sugar-coned ice cream on her hands to cheer me up. I think every mother never ceased to reach to their children in between our busy schedules like my mom always does. Sometimes, I even thought of not answering her calls because she was sooo makulit, so persistent that she tells me things like I’m still a little girl. She is reconnecting constantly at every instant and every chance that she has despite the distance that we have.

Even though I still don’t fully understand the circumstances of being a mom, I hope I have did good as her child, made her proud of me and made her happy despite the fact that we always think differently and eventually end up fighting. I hope I made her a one proud parent on this planet and I promise I’ll try not to think of not answering her calls again just so because she’s makulit but instead, I’ll try to call her as much as I could. For my friends and all the moms, this is for you:

You were this close once. Reconnect this Mother's Day. #PLDTMothersDay



More love to life,

Bella Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...